We all have our own beliefs regarding taxes. Some hate all of them, some ignore all of them, and some consider some relevant and others an over reach in order to cover irresponsibility regarding spending.
The things we hear about all of the time is ‘Our soldiers need supplies’ or ‘Our senior citizens need food because Social Security isn’t covering them.’ ‘… and we need to increase the taxes.’
What we don’t hear about is the abuse of spending that goes on that render’s the government its inability to cover its important expenses. And thats what today’s post is about. Government Spending and the things you don’t know about.
In 2013: (CNSNews.com) – The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $1.5 million to study biological and social factors for why “three-quarters” of lesbians are obese and why gay males are not, calling it an issue of “high public-health significance.”
Now why is that relevant and why is my money being used for this? Are lesbians any more or less biologically human as the next man or woman? I mean if there’s a gay gene then are we saying it’s what makes you fat? Ok, let someone with shit loads of money and a high level of curiosity figure it out. Do NOT use public tax funds to research segregated topics.
I mean, are not random straight men and women fat or obese? why are they classifying them? I’ve known obese gay men just as I’ve known skinny lesbian women. This is preposterous and NOT the US governments responsibilities.. yet this type of shit happens behind the scenes all of the time. Lobbying and back room deals throwing our money away faster than we can give it to them.
Taxes should be collected to provide the constitutional duties delegated to the appropriate level of government. Our military and our Civilian government officials. Then Fire and Police were added. Most people agree to these. Then highways and roads along with educational funding. Why is my money being used for irrelevant scientific studies that are only for people being either nosy or looking for something to do. Where do YOU draw the line? We spend insane amounts of money on ridiculous shit daily.
Our current national debt is above 17.5 TRILLION dollars and is doing nothing but climbing. Yet we have idiots in DC that believe we should spend over a million on why lesbians are obese? We need politicians to be held accountable. We need PEOPLE to be educated about who they are voting for and what these politicians have voted during their records. We need to get the politics and back room deals out of Washington because they don’t see a problem.
“Oh, we spent too much money? Our only solution is to raise taxes in some way, oh darn” These guys don’t even think about the possibility of CUTTING SPENDING! Oh yeah, they talk about it and end up stripping from social security or military funds. While stupid shit gets pushed through.
What does 17 trillion dollars look like? – “Back in 1981, the national debt was only about $1 trillion, yet Reagan still tried to put it all in perspective. He said, “I’ve been trying ever since to think of a way to illustrate how big a trillion really is. And the best I could come up with is that if you had a stack of thousand-dollar bills in your hand only 4 inches high, you’d be a millionaire. A trillion dollars would be a stack of thousand-dollar bills 67 miles high.” Multiply that by 17 and you get 1,139 miles high,”
Examples: (Gathered from http://commercialobserver.com) (2013)
- The government spends about $100 million every four years to subsidize parties at the political conventions.
- The Department of Agriculture spent $2 million to fund an internship program. The program hired one full-time intern.
- Last year (2012), $120 million was paid to dead federal employees.
- A total of $146 million was paid for federal employees to upgrade their flights to business class.
- The government spent $2.6 million to encourage Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly.
- The Department of Health and Human Services provided an $800,000 subsidy to build and IHop in Washington, D.C.
- The National Institutes of Health has given $1.5 million to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston to study why “three-quarters” of lesbians in the United States are overweight and why most gay males are not.
- During 2012, $25,000 of federal money was spent on a promotional tour for the Alabama Watermelon Queen.
- The U.S. government spent $505,000 “to promote specialty hair and beauty products for cats and dogs” last year.
- NASA spends close to $1 million per year developing a menu of food for a manned mission to Mars even though it is being projected that a manned mission to Mars is still decades away.
- Over the past 15 years, a total of approximately $5.25 million has been spent on hair care services for the U.S. Senate.
- The U.S. government spent $27 million to teach Moroccans how to design and make pottery in 2012.
- During fiscal 2012, the National Science Foundation gave researchers at Purdue University $350,000. They used part of that money to help fund a study that discovered that if golfers imagine that a hole is bigger it will help them with their putting.
- A total of $10,000 of U.S. taxpayer money was actually used to purchase talking urinal cakes in Michigan.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has spent $300,000 to encourage Americans to eat caviar produced in Idaho.
- The National Institute of Health recently gave $666,905 to a group of researchers that is conducting a study on the benefits of watching reruns on television.
- The National Institute of Health also spent $592,527 on a study that sought to figure out once and for all why chimpanzees throw poop.
- The IRS spent $60,000 on a film parody of Star Trek and a film parody of Gilligan’s Island.
- Last year, the federal government spent $96,000 to buy iPads for kindergarten students in Maine.
- The U.S. government spent $200,000 on “a tattoo removal program” in Mission Hills, Calif.
- Last year, the government spent just under $1 million posting snippets of poetry in zoos around the country.
- The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research spent $300,000 on a study that concluded the first bird on Earth probably had black feathers.
- The federal government spent $75,000 to promote awareness about the role Michigan plays in producing Christmas trees and poinsettias.
#5 The federal government has shelled out $3 million to researchers at the University of California at Irvine to fund their research on video games such as World of Warcraft. Wouldn’t we all love to have a “research job” like that?
#11 A total of $615,000 was given to the University of California at Santa Cruz to digitize photos, T-shirts and concert tickets belonging to the Grateful Dead.
#14 One professor at Stanford University was given $239,100 to study how Americans use the Internet to find love.
#18 The federal government spends 25 billion dollars a year maintaining federal buildings that are either unused or totally vacant.
#19 U.S. farmers are given a total of $2 billion each year for not farming their land.
#23 According to the Heritage Foundation, the U.S. military spent “$998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida”.
2009 – http://origin.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/10/50-examples-of-government-waste#_edn3
- Government auditors spent the past five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them — costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually — fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve.
- Federal agencies are delinquent on nearly 20 percent of employee travel charge cards, costing taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
- Washington spends $60,000 per hour shooting Air Force One photo-ops in front of national landmarks.
- Washington recently spent $1.8 million to help build a private golf course in Atlanta, Georgia.
So how do YOU feel about all of this? What are YOU going to do about it?